Area V – Hotel and Restaurant Management
AREA V: PRE-PROFESSIONAL MAJOR AND ELECTIVE COURSES FOR HOTEL and RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT MAJORS AT AUBURN UNIVERSITY (21 Semester Hours)
The following guidelines and restrictions apply to the degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management.
- No more than 21 hours may transfer in Area V for this 124-degree hour program. A total of 21 hours were specified in Area V by the AGSC as required for this major. The remaining 21 hours should include additional Auburn requirements in the major and the balance may be taken as elective course work.
- It is highly recommend that students take:
- PHL 106 or PHIL 206 or IDS 102 in area II
- At least one of these classes in area IV: ANT 200 or ANT 220 or GEO 100 or GEO 201 or HIS 101 or HIS 102 or HIS 121 or HIS 122 or PSY 200 or SOC 200
- At least one of these classes in area IV: HIS 101 or HIS 102 or HIS 121 or HIS 122 or ECO 231 or ECO 232 or POL 200 or POL 211
- Courses recommended in Areas I – IV but not taken should be completed under Area V:
- Students should take PHL 106 or PHL 206 or IDS 102, if not already taken in area II.
- Students should take at least one course from the following list if not already taken in area IV: ANT 200 or ANT 220 or GEO 100 or GEO 201 or HIS 101 or HIS 102 or HIS 121 or HIS 122 or PSY 200 or SOC 200
- Students should take at least one course from the following list if not already taken in area IV: HIS 101 or HIS 102 or HIS 121 or HIS 122 or ECO 231 or ECO 232 or POL 200 or POL 211[gap height=”10″]
- Remaining hours may be selected from this list:
- BUS 241 Principles of Accounting I (3 SH)
- ECO 231 Macroeconomics (3 SH)
- BUS 271 Business Statistics (3 SH)
- SPA 101 Elementary Spanish (3 SH)
- SPH 102 Elementary Spanish II (3 SH)
- SPH 106 or 107 (3 SH)[gap height=”10″]
- Electives, if any, should be selected from the disciplines covered in Areas I – IV, being cognizant of restrictions specified in this document.
- Restrictions on elective transfer hours:
- Developmental, remedial, or technical courses will not transfer
- A maximum of four semester hours in physical education may transfer.
- No transfer credit will be awarded for math courses below the state-approved core level of MATH 110 or MATH 112.
- REQUIRE WORK EXPERIENCE: All students must have proof of 600 hours of work experience in any position in the hospitality industry prior to registering for Internship or Practicum. Contact: CHSinfo@auburn.edu for information regarding documentation forms for this work experience.
- Only courses taught at the freshman and sophomore level at Auburn University may be elected. Courses approved in Area V in other majors may be consulted. Students may petition Auburn University to pre-approve courses selected under Area V that are not mentioned for this major under Area V (contact email@example.com (if last name is A-J) and firstname.lastname@example.org (if last name is K-Z).
Please print this document and attach it to the Hotel and Restaurant Management Articulation Guide. Together, this document and the articulation guide comprise the articulation agreement for a major in Hotel and Restaurant Management at Auburn.
Last modified: July 17, 2017