Area V – English
AREA V: PRE-PROFESSIONAL MAJOR AND ELECTIVE COURSES FOR ENGLISH MAJORS AT AUBURN UNIVERSITY (19 Semester Hours)
The following guidelines and restrictions apply to the degree in English (which includes the Creative Writing, Literature and Professional and Public Writing options).
- No more than 19 hours may transfer in Area V for this 120-degree hour program. A total of 9 hours were specified in Area V by the AGSC as required for this major. The remaining 10 hours should include additional Auburn requirements in the major and the balance may be taken as elective course work.
- It is highly recommend that students take:
- PHL 106 or PHIL 206 or IDS 102 in area II
- At least one of these classes in area IV: ANT 200 or ANT 220 or GEO 100 or GEO 201 or HIS 101 or HIS 102 or HIS 121 or HIS 122 or PSY 200 or SOC 200
- At least one of these classes in area IV: HIS 101 or HIS 102 or HIS 121 or HIS 122 or ECO 231 or ECO 232 or POL 200 or POL 211
- Courses recommended in Areas I – IV but not taken should be completed under Area V:
- Students should take PHL 106 or PHL 206 or IDS 102, if not already taken in area II.
- A years sequence in a foreign language is required for the degree FRN 101-102 or 201-202, GRN 101-102 or 201-202, SPN 101-102 or 201-202.
- Students should take at least one course from the following list if not already taken in area IV: ANT 200 or ANT 220 or GEO 100 or GEO 201 or HIS 101 or HIS 102 or HIS 121 or HIS 122 or PSY 200 or SOC 200
- Students should take at least one course from the following list if not already taken in area IV: HIS 101 or HIS 102 or HIS 121 or HIS 122 or ECO 231 or ECO 232 or POL 200 or POL 211
- Electives, if any, should be selected from the disciplines covered in Areas I – IV, being cognizant of restrictions specified in this document.
- Restrictions on elective transfer hours:
- Developmental, remedial, or technical courses will not transfer
- A maximum of one computer course may transfer: CIS 146 is strongly recommended.
- A maximum of four semester hours in physical education may transfer.
- No transfer credit will be awarded for math courses below the state-approved core level of MATH 110 or MATH 112.
- Only courses taught at the freshman and sophomore level at Auburn University may be elected. Courses approved in Area V in other majors may be consulted. Students may petition Auburn University to pre-approve courses selected under Area V that are not mentioned for this major under Area V (contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please print this document and attach it to the English Articulation Guide. Together, this document and the articulation guide comprise the articulation agreement for a major in English at Auburn.
Last modified: July 17, 2017