Area V – Elementary or Early Childhood Education
AREA V: PRE-PROFESSIONAL MAJOR AND ELECTIVE COURSES FOR ELEMENTARY OR EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION MAJORS AT AUBURN UNIVERSITY (19 Semester Hours)
The following guidelines and restrictions apply to the degree in Elementary Education and the degree in Early Childhood Education.
Common AGSC Requirements
Students who plan to transfer into Elementary Education or Early Childhood Education should take into consideration the following requirements as they plan their course selections. It is required that students select:
Area II – Choose another course from this area except Religion or Foreign Language Courses
Areas III & V – Two of the three required sciences must be taken as a sequence (e.g., BIO 101 & BIO 102)
Area IV – HIS 101 Western Civilization I and HIS 102 Western Civilization II OR HIS 121 World History I and HIS 122 World History II
Area V – MTH 231 Math for Elementary Teacher I and MTH 232 Math for Elementary Teacher II
AU Specific Requirements for Area V
No more than 19 hours may transfer in Area V for the Elementary Education 122 degree hour program or the Early Childhood Education 122 degree hour program. A total of 13 hours were specified in Area V by the AGSC as required for these majors. The remaining 6 hours should include additional Auburn requirements in the major, as noted below.
- PSY 210 Human Growth and Development or PSY 211 Child Growth and Development (3 SH)
- ENG 251, 252, 261,262, 271, or 272 (3 SH)
Restrictions on Elective Transfer Hours
- Electives, if any, should be selected from the disciplines covered in Areas I – IV, being cognizant of restrictions specified in this document.
- Developmental, remedial, or technical courses will not transfer.
- A maximum of four semester hours in physical education may transfer.
- No transfer credit will be awarded for math courses below the state-approved core level of MATH 110 or MATH 112.
- Only courses taught at the freshman and sophomore level at Auburn University may be elected. Courses approved in Area V in other majors may be consulted. Students may petition Auburn University to pre-approve courses selected under Area V that are not mentioned for this major under Area V (contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
Additional Requirements for Teacher Education Programs
Transfer students are admitted into a pre-teacher education program. Criteria for admission to teacher education are available on the College of Education website (www.education.auburn.edu).
Students are required to complete the following requirements for admission to Teacher education prior to transferring to Auburn University:
- Five Day Pre-teaching Experience
- Basic Skills Assessments
- ABI/FBI Background Clearance Check
The Elementary Education and the Early Childhood Education programs have restricted enrollments. Not all students who meet minimum requirements for admission to teacher education are accepted. Please see the College of Education section of the AU Bulletin for guidelines. The current AU Bulletin is available at http://www.auburn.edu/main/currentstudents.html.
Contact email@example.com for additional information about application procedures and deadlines.
Please print and sign this document and attach it to the Elementary or Early Childhood Education Articulation Guide. Together, this document and the articulation guide comprise the articulation agreement for a major in Elementary Education or Early Childhood Education at Auburn. This document must be given to your Auburn University major advisor upon transfer.
Last modified: July 17, 2017